Although makeup has the ability to conceal imperfections, brighten skin, and provide an even skin tone, the real magic has to begin with your skincare regime. Quite often I have clients who ask me to give them a perfected complexion with barely there makeup, which is honestly my favourite way to use makeup. Only use what is needed to provide the most natural and perfected finish. However, it is impossible to create a beautiful base on problematic skin that hasn't been taken care of, with the use of barely any makeup. Because I've noticed so many clients complaining about their own skin issues, it donned on me to do a blog post all about skin care. Without taking care of your skin, all that makeup can provide is coverage on top of the issues your skin may have. The ironic thing is though, since girls are wearing more and more makeup at such younger ages, instead of learning how to take care of their skin, they are simply piling on more and more makeup which leads to more and more skin issues. See the cycle? It's time to get truly, skin-deep.
Everyone has different skin textures, issues, and needs. It is important to take the time to learn what your skin really needs. The only way to do this is to take off that makeup girl and look at your skin up close! An easy way to tell what your skin may need is to splash your face with lukewarm water and notice what your skin feels like after a few minutes. Does it feel tight? Does it appear oily in some areas? Did redness appear? Or does it seem unaffected? Tight skin may be telling you, you need moisture. Oily areas is probably telling you just that, your dealing with combination type skin. Redness? Perhaps your sensitive and need to start finding more natural based products.
Over the teenage years into my late twenties now, my relationship with my skin has been quite the process. I always believed in my teens that I was suffering from oily skin and acne, so to combat it I would purchase anything that said "anti-acne", "blemish fighting" and "mattifying". It only made my skin worse. The more I would try to clear my oily problematic skin, the more it would feel oily, tight, and dry. it was confusing and so annoying! Finally I've learned through tons of reading and research what works for my skin and what totally doesn't. Now I use oils on my skin (I know!) which amazingly combat the oiliness on my skin. I stick to only natural or organic ingredients, and have learned that less is truly more.
We're all different but I truly believe that the natural, and "less is more" approach can truly change your skins life. I personally do not believe in spending hundreds on skincare products from luxury brands because they are packed with chemicals and ingredients you can't even read. Instead of spending every month on makeup removers and pads, why not try coconut oil? Olive oil? Not only does it remove your makeup but it will soften your skin, lengthen your lashes and moisturize your face and lips. The benefits are unreal. Want a "at home spa" experience that can open your pores and soften your skin? Use a cloth that has been held under warm/hot water, and let that steam your face every night. Your pores will shrink and your products will work ten times better. I suggest reading up on all the amazing techniques and natural products you can use that can completely change your skin and your skin care regime.
What works for me? Listed below are the products I'm currently loving and 99% of the ingredients in all of them are organic! LOVE!! I hope this post inspired you all to take a close look at your skin and take care of the beautiful face (and body) you possess!
- Aloe Vera Toner - I purchased this in Hawaii but you can find this in any organic supermarket near you. Works wonders on blemishes and naturally soothes acne while moisturizing. Never doe this toner leave your skin feeling tight.
- Origins Out of Trouble 10 Minute Mask - This is one of my favourite masks to suck out any blemishes and always seems to clear up any oily patches.
- Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Cleanser - I purchased this cleanser because of the ever inspiring blogger Annie Jeffrey, and I am already sold. It is completely organic based, makes my skin tingle when I use it, but in a good way. I have noticed already my blemishes disappearing each time I've used it. And it smells fantastic.
- Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant - I could do an entire blog post on the Eminence brand. It has completely changed my skin, cleared up eczema patches, acne, and more that even my Doctor could not resolve for me. Not only does this brand work, it 98% organic. Need I say more? When your looking for an exfoliator please put it in a bit more money to purchase an excellent exfoliator. One with small particles is the best way to exfoliate, please steer clear from anything with large and jagged particles. This can increase the chance of it irritating your skin. Be careful!
- Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 50 - Girls please purchase a moisturizer with SPF. Do your future self a favour. You can always use a gradual tanning lotion if you need colour on your skin in the summer, but please protect your skin from the suns rays when your young. And if you haven't been using a moisturizer with SPF yet and your a tad older, start immediately. This moisturizer is dermatologist recommended, sinks into the skin quickly, and leaves a soft and supple feel perfect for sensitive skin.
- Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre - I also purchased this recently inspired by Annie Jeffrey, and I already love it. Its more of a luxury brand as I had to order it from Paris, but it is highly recommended by makeup artist sand dermatologists worldwide. It smoothes on like a dream and smells beautiful.
- Peter Thomas Roth Therapeutic Sulfur Mask - Oh. My. Word. If your going through your teenage years and suffering from hormonal acne, or if your in your twenties still dealing with the occasional blemish, you MUST purchase this immediately. It is unreal. Clears up everything, evens your skin tone, smells like minty goodness, and I swear it is clearing up my hormonal acne instantly. Purchase this!!
- Josie Maran Whipped Mud Mask - Infused with argan oil, as all of Josie Maran's products are, this is such a beautiful, luxurious mask. Feels like a comforting, moisturizing cream that becomes a mask slowly. The first time I used it, my skin felt like a literal baby's bum bum. Even my husband noticed how soft it was and kept touching my face. Slightly annoying but if a man notices it, it must work! I used it a few days in a row, and my skin tone was visibly more even, and I felt extremely moisturized. Highly recommend this beautiful product.